Tuesday, April 7, 2009

E.R....no, not that show.

What a day. This week actually started out wonderfully. Peyton had a play date yesterday with his friend Hayden. We haven't had a play date with him since December because Hayden had gotten pneumonia, but he is all well now! Peyton really enjoyed the day and we set out this morning for school...just like any other day. By 11:30 the phone was ringing...it was school. GASP...what kid did he hit today that required a phone call home?! I only wish it had been that now. Peyton had smashed his pinky in a door at school and I needed to come up there...on my way of course! On the way I really didn't think much of it. Actually I was thinking, why can't they deal with this for another 15 minutes..I usually pick him up at 11:45 anyways. Then it occurred to me...it must be really bad. When I got there they were waiting in the lobby for me...Peyton in the Preschool Pastor's arms with his wrapped in paper towels...and there was a lot of blood. Ok so this is bad now. We put him in the car and take off to the E.R. Peyton hardly cried the whole time in the E.R. Xray was definitely the worst...that was the first time I got a real good look at it. It was really bad. Xray showed no break...thank God! Then we were off to decide what to do next. The Dr. wanted to put him under to stitch up his pinky....uhhhhh NO. I just couldn't see putting him through that for a finger...he's only 2 and who knows how he would deal with anesthesia. So we opted for the finger block. The needle was big and he cried...a lot. The Dr. seemed a bit nervous because lets face it...he's two and one could only expect him to be a wiggle worm. He just doesn't know my fearless freddie. We wrapped Peyton up like a burrito and it was time to sew him up. He was SO BRAVE. He cried a bit, but mostly we just talked about milk shakes, trains, maw, paw, "Pie", nana and pop. All his favorite things. Towards the end I could tell the numbness was wearing off b/c he was becoming anxious. I told the Dr. I thought he could feel it, but thankfully he was already done. He cried the most when they were wrapping it up...go figure. I am so proud of my little man...I don't think I would have been half as good as he was. In the end they called it a partial amputation of his pinky....I think it sounds worse than it really was, but it was kinda dangling. We go tomorrow to the hand Dr. The E.R. Dr. was somewhat worried that Peyton will totally lose his finger nail, but we'll just have to see. Not sure what the hand Dr. is going to do but hopefully he'll have some better ideas for wrapping it b/c that was pure torture to clean it and re wrap it tonight...that was the first time I cried all day. So we're all settling in tonight...much like nothing happened! Peyton played ball with Daddy this afternoon and really hasn't complained much...other than when we have to clean it. I'm so thankful for patience today...most of you know that is one quality I don't have often, but today I managed to put my Mommy shoes on and concentrate on the task at hand. I think Brad thinks something has taken over my body because he's still waiting on the breakdown. ha! All I can say is thank God for even the smallest prayers...like keeping your cool. Sometimes those prayers end up being the biggest.



Peyton and Hayden having lunch
These next few pictures are of Peyton having his traditional "I went to the Dr." milkshake. It's something my mother started when we were kids and I've carried on with mine...hey it always made me feel better...still does!







***update***
Peyton is totally milking this finger injury...in the time I've been sitting here writing this I've had to go over and kiss his "hurt" at least 10 times....and he asks everytime with a huge smile. Could he be any sweeter?


4 comments:

Lori said...

OMG! My poor baby! Glad its not worse than it is. He is a lucky little boy. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I am sure it was heartbreaking to see your baby so helpless. I wish we lived closer so we could help. We told Kainaan that Peyton got an ouchie on his finger, and he looked at Peyton's pic and said, "You OK Peyt?"So look in the mail, Kainaan sent some Spiderman band-aids to his friend.
Let us know what the hand Dr. says today.
Give that brave boy some loves from us!
Love, Lori, Tim, & Kainaan

The Vranas said...

Poor guy. That bandage even looks rough, like they've made him keep it off at a weird angle. It sounds like he was such a trooper though!

Anonymous said...

What a little man!! Can't wait to see him so we can cuddle him also. We are so sorry that it happened but glad he will be Ok! I bet the Easter bunny will be extra generous to him!!!

Love ya, Nana

Wendy said...

Um...I'll see you your finger injury and raise you a smashed, partial amputation of a toe, bone exposure and surgery...whatchya got? :) I'm sure you have read Lori's blog by now and seen a few pictures....(and maybe seen my facebook updates) ooooooo yesterday was loooongggggg!! Dillon is totally loving getting waited on hand and foot...um, no pun intended. :) We are having to carry him around for a few days...couldn't get little man crutches! Give Peyton's "hurt" a bazillion kisses from us!!!