Saturday, August 30, 2008

Evacuation complete

Just a quick post to update any concerned family and friends. We made it to Bossier last night safe and sound...beating all the evacuation traffic...thank God. This is the craziest thing I've ever experienced and yet I'm not even close to feeling as much anxiety as I did with Hurricane Katrina. The Governor of Louisiana has canceled all northern Louisiana schools until Wednesday....I can say with certainty that has never happened in my lifetime. They canceled classes because they want to have those schools accessible for Homeland Security agencies and shelters for evacuees. As of now we're just waiting to see what happens. I feel like this storm is going to miss Hattiesburg and head more west....our biggest challenge will be timing our trip home...missing storms in Hattiesburg, but leaving here before it begins to storm. Can you tell that I am DETERMINED to go on our vacation next weekend? ha! I'm sure we'll make it..lets just hope Brad doesn't have issues at work. For now, they're predicting that hattiesburg will expect 2-4 inches of rain and 30 mph sustained wind. Pray our fence holds up! Anyways, just wanted to give you an update. When I have more news I'll let you all know, but for now we're going to hang out by the pool while it's still sunny!!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hey guys! Glad ya'll are safe, my entire family is in Bastrop...I wish I was with them...and ya'll. I will finally be home tomorrow (sunday). Ihope it stays away from Hattiesburg, but I really hope it turns away from Terrebonne Bay...you know, my home...my mom's home. I feel more nervous about this one than I did Katrina, but I guess b/c Houma is the target for the moment. Ugh! Anyways, Hope all goes well. Take care. Keep in touch.
Miss ya'll!
Love ya, Lori

Elizabeth Guidry said...

Hey!

We're in Shreve too! If you guys are still in town, give me a buzz at my 'rents place and we can get together for lunch or something!

Liz